JD?? Home?? no waaaay! I'm so pumped to get to know RM JD. Give him a big hand shake hug... idk... for me.
[The following are transcribed audio recordings...so it's Kayla's lovely quirky rambling at times:]
Hey family,
Thursday, we had our Zone class and it was very good. We want to see miracles! We're working with Nina, the viejta, who is surprisingly progressing. On our visit, we were talking about lesson 3, the Gospel of Jesus Christ and about baptism. She wasn't feeling very well and she's very stubborn, so it was very hard, but I was very lovingly DIRECT with her...what she needs to do and asking her what we can do to help her do what she KNOWS she's supposed to do. We went to visit Hna Fredes, who is a less-active, along with her husband, so it's always interesting talking to them.
That night we went to visit Clara, which is always fun, and she's so happy to see us. Quick story...she got a new job, and the new employer wanted her to make sopapillas, which are super popular and everyone has them, but Clara didn't really know how to make them (after telling the employer that she could make all different kinds of foods). 'I did not know what to do, and I didn't want to lose this new job since they are paying me like double! And I need to make a sopapilla right NOW!' So, she always brings her Book of Mormon with her wherever she goes. So she pulled out her BOM and put it next to the frying pan as she's making the dough for the sopapillas. As she's mixing it up, she's fiercely staring at her BOM asking for help to 'Make it rico, God! Make it RICO! I just want it to be good, please, please!'. I just thought it was so funny, in a full-of-faith kind of way! I love her SOOOO much!
![]() |
| Reenacting the Sopapilla story! |
Friday we did planification for the week. Because they changed our planning from 3 hrs to 2 hrs, we haven't made time for companionship inventory, but we NEEDED to do better and start over, so we had a very sweet experience writing all the things we like about each other and the things we need to improve upon, start some new traditions and fun things as companions. She wrote out a whole list... It was so cuuuute. But I also have areas I need to improve, to be a better trainer. So it was great! But it was a relief to read that she forgives me and sees my strengths. I had a lot of strengths for her, so we made each other feel good! I gave her a lot of counsel too... I had challenged her to be writing in her journal...which she still hadn't done! She gave ME some good counsel too, which will help me be a better trainer. So that was Friday. And then we had lunch with Hma Sandra, who's always awesome. Her friend, who is Jehovah Witness, came over in the middle of lunch. Hma Sandra wanted us to share with her, but because we'd had not-so-good experiences with JW before, we were hesitant. But they were just super nice, we talked about her family, then we shared a scripture (I had the bible so I shared one, but Hna Piedrahita panicked because she couldn't find one in the BOM, so I closed things up and it went fine! Sometimes we don't have a lot of courage/faith, especially when it comes to JW's (because they too often just want to fight/bash), especially when it's a friend of a member because we don't want to offend.
Saturday was the day to take Clara to visit the temple grounds...'HAAAAALelujah'! We were so excited and had been waiting for this for a LOOOONG time. So I woke up and was pumped! When the time came and we went to her apartment, her son and husband said she wasn't there! 'Whhhaaaat??' They said, 'No, she's downtown right now'. So he tried to call her over and over, signal wasn't good, she wasn't answering, her daughter wasn't answering, yadda yada. And I'm just praying in my heart. Satan wants her so, so SO bad and he's managed to put things in her way every time something good is planned. Welp, we decided to go tracting in her apartments because we heard that new people had moved in. Meanwhile, Hma Piedriahita continued to call her, trying to get a signal. Just as I was knocking on a door, she looked at me saying, 'yeah, yeah, yeah...I got her! She's on the phone!' Then I whispered heavenward, Thank you Thank you. Then we lost the signal again, so I pleaded another prayer! 'Please help things to work out, get her on the phone.' Y en esa momento, she started talking and was excited to meet us in the metro station, like right now! So just like my companion always does, she says, 'Corra, Corra!!' Run, run! So that's what we did...to the micro (bus)., then to the metro when the micro didn't come. Took a while, but longer story shorter, we got off the metro and there was Clara and her daughter coming down the stairs all happy and gave us a big hug, and I was like, 'YES! It's all gonna work out!' And it DID, we went to the temple, it was super pretty. There are Hermanas there who give tours; we had called them the night before and we set it all up. There was another family there (all members except for the dad who was investigating), they were so CUUTE! None of them had gone to the temple before, because they wanted it to be special, so they were excited and Clara could see that. And she was excited too. As we were circling the temple, we got quiet, and we felt the Spirit, she felt the Spirit. She had questions...'why can't anyone go in?' We explained simply, 'the Church is like school, whereas the Temple is like University, and we need to be ready to receive these blessing and make covenants. If we don't understand what's happening, it's not going to serve us. And she understood. It was really a BEAUTIFUL experience. I was so, so, SO HAPPY to be there with her! And she was too...she always shares her testimony when we're around other people...she just makes me smile so much! It's been so long (since the MTC) since I was near the temple at night, so it was weird but fun to be there with her at that time of day.
Sunday came, and we were counting on Clara to come to church...and....she....didn't! It was so sad, but it was wonderful that other investigators came, who we didn't expect to come, because of their stubbornness in the past saying no, no, no. But it made us happy that they came even before the sacrament. But we kept wondering what kept Clara from coming. Later on, during movie night during Once (don't worry...it's allowed, we weren't wasting time), we watched The Testaments. That was really good...Jasmine, Yerko, and Taia (all recent converts) were there and I think they liked it...it was really good...I cried...I love that movie...to see the reality of what we have...both sets of scriptures that testify of our Savior Jesus Christ. We were sad that Clara wasn't there to enjoy it too. During the movie, she called us and said , 'oh my gosh, how are you? Are you mad?' I THOUGHT she said, 'I'm mad", so we were worried and tried to think of what we should say to her.
Jasmine and Taia went straight to visit Clara and see what might be wrong, and Yerko went with us to two more appointments (which fell through), so we then went to see Clara and talked about all that was happening. Found out she WASN'T mad, didn't come to church because she 'didn't have a skirt'...(serious??...ARGH!!---she shouldn't affect me so much, but she DOES!). I needed to be lovingly direct with her. Please pray for her to have the strength to remove tea and false God's (saints--breaking the 2nd commandment) from her habits, which has been part of her whole life, so it's difficult. I think it's going to all work out...I don't know how...But I know that only through God we can do this. I woke up this morning thinking of her...purely her...nothing else. Because she is so close...sosososososo close. I came to Chile for HER, because...I don't know...she just so CHOSEN...and she doesn't even know it. So, we're fasting and praying a lot for her. We KNOW she has been converted, we know it. But she's scared. But she also says she had been praying and felt good about being baptized. So, hopefully, she finds the strength to overcome her fears and weaknesses. I don't know if she'll get baptized while I'm here, but I know she will in the end, so we hope for that. Please pray for her, give us any advice for her, if you have any.
So today we went to the ferria and bought a few things (like the watermelon-flavored peanuts, yum!) and a few other things, and my companion bought a JOURNAL, FINALLY! Yup, she's committed to write in her journal!! Also, I found a Chile flag. I kid you not, I could NOT find a Chilean flag this whole time! So I actually found one...that the seller said had a story to go with it...that it was flying during a soccer game...and it was meant just for me...and I THINK I believed him since he said he had met with the missionaries before...hmmmm...well, it's hanging in the room right now that I am in. And now I need to go write you and send these recordings.
I love you all!! I love the mission!!!








No comments:
Post a Comment