Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Week 1: It's not funny

FAMILY FRIENDS MOM DAD, I made it!! I now understand why all of my friends have zero time to write me back because this one hour we finally get the chance to write all of our feelings and joys of the week that we havent had time to write out in our journals bc #SOTIREDANDBUSYALWAYS. 

I guess  I should explain 1.Im sorry i have bad grammar and this looks kinda funky at some párts because its a spanish keyboard and im making due with it. and 2. the title of the email will be explained later. 

SO! my goodness. Lets start with the plane ride. It was kind of scary going off on my own to take 2 separate flights, one international, all by myself! but there were a lot of kind people who were definitely put in my path for several reasons. First, there was the lady at the Lovefield TX airport who was so nice dealing with my visa issues and made sure i was in good hands and didnt cry ahhaa. Then when  I got through secuirity I sat by a middle-aged couple that actually started talking to me first oncce I finished eating my mcdonalds salad we grabbed on the way to the airport. They asked me what I was doing and where I was going and I got to know  them and lots about their 3 girls who are just all really good people it seams like. The mom hugged me on othe plane and gave me a GO GET EM KID hahah. I lovepeople. Ohmygoodness it was so stressful for so many of us running from our first plane that were  all kinda late to the  santiago one! Already in missionary mode on the go I guess¿¿ haha I was one  of the first to make it on the plane and then the famous (Abby) Hermana Lindsay I met on facebook and instagram before the mission and a few others including Elder Garett Allen who was at BYU and starts in the BYU heritage halls spoof of the office called The Dorm. I said hi to him  one of my last days up at summer term and yep hes definitely the funniest kid here! He and his companion  are the tallest most happy kids. They especially love when President and Hermana Doll turn on Gladys Knight )no idea how to spell that) soul music to wake us up in the morning. Anyways, it was about 15 of us missionaries that all came together at the airport, about half and half with sisters and elders and 2 from Brazil\paraguay I think! EVERYONES JUST AWESOME. I immediately understood what our (theguyfrom the ccm that picked us up) was saying to us in spanish and got to talk to our lady driver and it was way cool to know I was already getting a little spanish out from those high school classes ha, Hermana Lindsay was by far the most excited about getting there to Santiago saying OH MY GOODNESS THIS PLACE IS SO BEAUTIFUL, THEY HAVE COCACOLA AND MCDONALDS AND TREES AND SPANISH THINGS WOW! Ha her happiness and excitement and positivity is INFECTIOUS! 

Unfortunately Shes not my comp but Im in a trio with STILL wonderful Hermana Tippets from St.George Utah and Hermana Gardiner (not related to Sams oldish comp Elder Gardiner) from Enterprise Utah, so They lived pretty close to each other but didn}tknoweach other before! Its definitely difficult being in a trio and agreeing on everything and all being obedient and being within (as we yell to each other all the time jokingly) SIGHT AND SOUND, SIGHT AND SOUND of each other. Weve  worked on developing specific Christlike Attributes together each day which has strengthed our bonds for sure ¨:). 

I got a surprise like the  second day when one of our teachers Hermano Escobar WHOSE BROTHER WAS IN GRANDPA}s MISSION WHEN HE SERVED!!! I TEARED UP WHEN HE TOLD ME I HAD REALLY GOOD SPANISH AND ASKED ME HOW I KNOW IT SO WELL AND I TALKED ABOUT DAD AND GRANDPA SERVING IN CHILE and wow, that was very cool. He said grandps was a GREAT man, apparently with him and a few others starting the  perpetual education  fund¿¿¿ no. pero muy genial. 

but anyways, the surprise was him asking if President had talked to me and I said nooo¿¿ and he told me Hermana Contreres would me by new companion half the time during breaks, meals, exercise, and I would be helping her learn english for her SLC Temple Square mission that shes waiting  on her visa for. Can I just tell you that she along with her other 2 companions Hma. Cannalles and Hma. Cordova, They have MADE OUR EXPERIENCE so far. Them teaching me more spanish and me teaching them english is aweeesome and HILARIOUS. They were making fun of me at lunch one day for something and i said NO ES CHISTOSO and they respond ËEZ NAH FUNNYYY!! hahah!!!! all the americans  laughed because of their accents sounds like that one video on youtube of the dad making fun of his little boy for saying blood! buhluudd!!! NAH FUNNNY! Sorry. I might not be making sense to any of you but I have 15 mins and my lettersare prob going to  be #nofilter. 

Speaking of blood, yesterday I was getting sick ugh it was horrible, during personal  study Hma GArdiner said you could tell everyone was either crying or sick  because of all the sniffles... but yes i was blowing my nose during a break and all of a sudden my nose is gushing, and i meaan GUSHING bblood. This might be TMI but It just kept coming out and Hma Cannalles so sweet is mumbling in spanish trying getting toliet paper to plug my nose and agh shes so kind!!!! But she and the other latina  hmas told my teacher HMO Pino who by the way is alsoo so funny and the best he came down and was trying tohelp  out and i was just wincing because the blood kept draining into my mouth and there was so much but eventually a sister teach came down to help me out and she said as a kid this always happened to her and its NBD and sang in broken english Cuz every little thing is gonna be alright! I LOVEEEEEE the Chileans SO MUCH. I have recordings of me and the latina sisters teaching each other english and spanish that I will send next week and BTW we cant take pics other than the 3 hours on pday so sorry!! But imma try to send one here real quick. 

I love you all! Missionary work is the absolute best. me and my companions love teaching our investigators Jose, Celia, y Hector porque Esto evangelio es verdadero y bediceme con felicidad y paz and I just love doing this. We got to talk in the park today to a few chileans and theyre just so nice with  their leash-less dogs roaming around... 

My district is sweet. Almost everyone has little to no spanish experience, so Its super hard for them trying to understand our teachers, but slowly and surely they and we aare becoming CHILENOS. saying broken spanish, heartfelt prayers, stating our missionary purpose every class... Its amazing and I know the gospel is true. So much. And IM SO thankful for all the prep that has gotten me here. I feel great I LOVE YOU ALL! until next week...... ITS NOT FUNNY"!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like she is doing awesome!! Such a difference in details from when elders write home. An elder from my ward write 5 sentences a week tops.

    ReplyDelete