Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Week 58

correct mailing address is:
Hermana Kayla Moon
Misión Chile Santiago Norte
Maria Graham 312, 8420164 Recoleta
Region Metropolitana Santiago

                                                  Chile

Journal:
29 Dec 2016  Today, unlike these past few days, was very successful as far as lessons go.  We taught in the street Maria Lopez--talks a ton but has good questions and could have potential if she lets herself have time--she's looking for answers to her doubts about a fair god.  We answered talking about opposition in all things.  Then a MIRACLE happened.  We'd finally thought about visiting Johnny's kids in the morning since the mom should be working...so we won't have to hear her yelling from the window 'you won't be visiting them until Johnny pays me!'  So we turn the famous corner to their house where we usually start to slow down to yell HALO from a distance (because she's scary), but the door was open!  So I thought, 'great, the kids are up chillin', sweet!'  So we go up close to the door and out comes Gina, the mom...SMILING!  Huh?  And we made small talk and she didn't KILL us!  I will have you all know, she made a missionary CRY before being so threatening!  We asked when we could see the kids and she said, she doesn't know.  I asked for a glass of water, she said to go get it yourself because 'my hands are covered in marijuana'.  I was alright with that because we got to ENTER the house for the first time!  When I finish, I hear Hna and her talking about how she was 'coincidentally fasting' today to feel closer to God.  Woah! (All I've heard about this woman is that she's horrible).  Later, she touched her chest and agreed that she lacks something inside...WOAH!?  She talked about some guy who convinced her to believe in a nondenominational bible...we testified of the REAL bible and BOM.  It's CRAZY, but she accepted it, even though she doesn't 'believe in the Mormons'.  And yes, we ended with a prayer when Jhomara had woken up, her friend wanting to play (to which Gina asked her, 'do you want them to go to YOUR house?).  I waited until we turned the corner to turn back to Hna and say, 'Hna Lindsay and Ortiz are NEVER going to believe we taught this woman!'

Contacting Edith's neighborhood, I felt bored because we've talked with almost everyone there, but then a contact made us realize that there's a whole another street, so we went there and talked to 3 great people, one to which we gave a BOM and taught and will visit next week, and a contacted referral.  It's so cool how I'm realizing just now the miracles Heavenly Father is performing.  Good lunch with Edith, Paola (Camilo's mom) and the Hnas.  Crazy guy Ernesto, to whom we testified of the Restoration and the things that the true church has--saving ordinances, chosen prophet, 12 Apostles, a support to the Bible...he changed the subject many times, talking about things that don't matter as much as his problems at hand, but for the most part, we had patience (although I could have had the spirit more), but it's so hard when there's so much apostasy being said.  We finally found Marina and Jose, they got to know Hna and we taught the beginning of Lesson 2, and how ironic that they'd JUST this week been talking about if there's life after death.  They've felt a difference ever since we've come..s'cool!  They keep filling up a bag more and more with plums for us and Hna Molina was in the clouds happy because we love free country fruit!  I 'put my house in order' (D&C 93) in Once, we had Coordination and FLEW home as it was getting dark.  It was funny/scary on that bumpy path without much light.  But we got to the house at 9:32, called Hna V and tomorrow I have an appt to see what the next steps are for muh health.  My hand hurts from writing so much, my feet from standing so much apostasy, but truly I'm so grateful that I've been taken out of the slump I hope up with and have been an instrument in His hands (Alma 26, 15-16) :D!  

30 Dec Friday.  Oh wow!  just writing down the date I remembered that it's Chris' bday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHRIS!!!  I love you and pray for you!  Today was a crazy day.  Studied of wars from 3 and 4 Nephi and then Ephesians 6 about putting on the armor of God and that was something new.  Weekly planning quickly cut short to make a delish salad of all the veggies we have, talking all the way/quizzing me on Spanish vocab as I'm 1/2 asleep on the way to Santiago.  The doc said the problems aren't going to go away until I get back to normal life...I'll just have to take it easier, continue in therapy, and take care of myself.  We came out to find Pres and Hna Videla waiting for us...who woulda thought we'd spend the next 4 hours together! ...along with the other Hnas of Llay-Llay, Hna Frazier and Cazaute who has knee probs.  What a fun/tense/long time with them.  They had to drive us back here and we got in the door at 9:30 to plan, clean up the mess of salad we made, and now dormir, dormir [sleep, sleep].  

1 Jan 2017  y'don't see THAT every day...HAPPY NEW YEAR! And just so you know, we've almost died a few times recently!  Jk, but there has definitely been some DRAMA!  After lunch, we went to the park outside of Hna Caroti's and just as we're sitting down to study, all of a sudden starts a little disagreement in a group of teen guys.  One (right in front of us) pulls out from under his shirt a gun and is pointing it at one guy who ran away scared.  I honestly was going into my mode of 'well, if we just ignore them nothing will happen' but Hna's smarter (is that a word?  I think so) and said 'Let's go?' yeah!  First time that's happened to me!  I think I should take a lil bit more caution now.  

Also, I'm currently hiding my possessions because we just got home with all the windows opened (thank goodness we had rejas [bars] around every window) with our outside gate bent up.  And I had my camera JUST chilling happy there on my bed which could have easily been stolen, but wasn't.  

Also last week on Christmas, we were teaching Juanito outside on his doorstep and Hna noticed a man across the street motioning for us to come over.  She said, 'sorry, we're a bit busy now, you wanna join us?' and he just angrily said 'no!  I'll just wait here.'  We're like no, why, that's so awkward!  But wait he did!  Meanwhile, we're trying to share a simple scripture with Juanito, he, as many viejitos [old folks] would be doing, started complaining about the staling, druggy teenagers who get together in front of his house.  Meanwhile, the strange man across the street is getting impatient, saying he needs to talk to us about something private, so we excused ourselves from Juanito for a second and asked him how we could help him.  He said that the DAY BEFORE, he got out of jail, that he's a member, is currently homeless because he's from Antofagasta and he needed to talk to the bishop.  We tried to make small talk, meanwhile I was trying to get a hold of the bishop, who didn't answer.  He shut down my comp, frustrated, saying Colombians talk very loudly and asked her to tone it down (oh no.he.di'nt!) lol.  So we silently waited for SOMEONE to answer.  Finally the 1st Counselor answered saying he was busy in the cemetery and reached the 2nd counselor, said he didn't know how to help the guy, and we told him we'll have to get back to him when the Bishop responds.  We went to teach Nora, less-active, and then all the bishopric is calling us during the lesson.  We called them afterward and the bishop explained that this guy could be the one who's a thief who plays an act and tries to steal $ from the church...that we had to be careful... :o  Merry Christmas!!??  Afterward, the 1st counselor calls us because he's in our area and is going to talk to the guy...we're like, Holy COW, this escalated quickly.  We showed him where the guy was and, from a distance, watched Hno Pontigo pull up to the recently-released prisoner and waited for him to jump the poor Hno P, but nothing happened!  We found out later that Hno Pontigo actually KNEW the guy from school and is practically the only person around here in Los Andes who knew this guy!  We couldn't believe it!  The guy cried when he saw Hno Pontigo, a childhood friend, pull up to help him get back home.

Earlier that day when we were waiting about 20 minutes for a taxi to get back to our area, up pulls a taxi driver FINALLY and made a u-turn to pick us up.  Miracles!!  But then this miracle got a little weird as he started telling me (keep in mind he's 36 years old) he likes me and would like to marry me (Merry Christmas to meeee??).  Hna Molina starts laughing and recording on her camera the conversation...which you all will see one day.  I talked about eternal families with him hoping he'd get it that he's gotta boost his life standards if he wants to truly be happy. :)

So you could say we're learning a LOT here in Los Andes...more about how even in the country, it's not going to be so 'Little House On The Prairie' (although I HAVE noticed that many people here still watch that lovely show).  

Yesterday was an interesting day and what I liked most were all the tips Camilo gave us for teaching with power, about the Restoration, and fun ideas for finding people, which I know are really going to bring so much success here.  We also watched Meet the Mormons with Hna Caroti and Silvia for FHE/Once and of course, I'm crying the while movie...because I LOVE the GOSPEL.  Hermana Molina and I are really excited to make some good changes!

Letter:
I haven´t quite had the chance to really reflect on this year, but all I know is that every lil piece of it has changed my life forever.  I am so grateful to be the Lord´s missionary... how GREAT is our calling! And how great is this life.  I have to say I wasn´t really planning on setting some serious New Year´s Resolutions until I read William King´s letter. LOL. No soda for a year? SO. My comp and I made some serious #goals for 2017, and here they are: 

For what I have left of the mission:
Health: jump for 5 minutes straight every day [I told her to be sure to check with her dr to make sure this activity wouldn't be counterproductive to her plantar fasciitis and tendon therapy]
Social: strive to treat all here as I would my friends and family
Spiritual: Check-in with the Lord every day at a certain time
Random: introduce ourselves to a whole micro and contact
Temporal: be a master at budgeting

For all year:
Health: drink 2L of water every day
Social: try to be positive in all conversations
Spiritual: say a prayer of only gratefuls every day
Random: take a photo every day
Temporal: understand even more of modesty (clean, modest attitude, all put-together)

To start after the mission:
Health: follow the Word of Wisdom more fully
Social: make/stand in holy places
Spiritual: Prepare well for the sacrament
Random: Learn a new joke every week and tell it to someone who needs it
Temporal: use technology for good (how Elder Bednar describes)

SO! Many metas [goals] but I´m doing well so far and invite you all to make meaningful metas that will bring you closer to being your best you. I don´t know if I mentioned it in my journal, but we were all excited about waking up to the alarm at 11:55pm of NYEve and what happened? It DIDN'T GO OFF! Haha. Hna was all annoyed at 2:35am saying 'happy new year, :P' :D. Haha and we didn´t teach ANYONE these days, but we sure are contacting a lot, looking for the chosen ones who are ready NOW, focusing on a small area and working with the members.  So far so good, having members in all of our lessons yesterday and we've got lessons lined up all this week and plans to practice teaching with much more power, so we're pumped. 

In other news, the doctor said that basically because I'm hyperlaxive? [she couldn't remember the right word the doc used], all of my tendons are sensitive and getting inflammed but I can just keep going to therapies and all will be bearable! Also Hna Molina's knee is bothering her for her oldness in the mission so we will be going to therapies together! We truly are enduring to the end and seeing little miracles here and there right when we need them. Love this work! It's getting harder as the heat is getting stronger and we're getting a little bored of the same neighborhoods over and over, but we know we're helpig the Lord in His Chilean vineyard. 

All of you out there who know the missionaries, please get involved in the work with them, because we NEED YOU!!  All of you who just know me and haven´t yet talked to the missionaries, take Christ's invitation to come unto him in his true and living church TODAY.  I promise you will not regret it.  Que tengan una buena semana, año, dia, vida, y que Dios les bendiga! [Have a good week, year, day, life, and may God bless you!]

Hermana Moon
Mammut, or in other words, all of the American restaurants combined and we were very very happy 
a RASBERRY LEMONADE!
yes. yes. yes and those are empanaditas de BBQ pork
last selfie of 2016
this is us very excited to be with Prez and Hna Videla´s car
talking about deep doctrine
exHAUSTED after day in Santiago


Santa gave us groceries!
( I never thought I would be so excited for
Great Value Reeses ice cream)
every day of this year I will summarize my day in hashtags
(hna Nielson's idea)

No comments:

Post a Comment