Monday, September 14, 2015

Falling Short (Parker’s soccer game)


Yesterday, I had the privilege of watching my oldest nephew Parker play in his first soccer game YAAAASSSS! Stephanie was at the hospital working and Steve had just had some recent surgery, so I was called upon to help out with the kiddos a little and man I was pumped to watch this little guy get out his giggles by kicking a ball around. (Plus it was perfect weather so I was on a little missing-Utah-Kayla high). Parker was first put into the 2nd group of 4 to go on the field, so he was just hanging out, so excited to get out there and play! Finally he got his shot! He ran around, following the other kids trying to kick the ball and not doing so hot. So he decides to just hang out at the other team's goal, swinging on the top bar, no big deal.....
We'd yell "GO PARKER, GET THE BALL! KICK IT!" But nothing! No response, just hanging out still. He'd eventually go back to kick with the others, but decided there were better things to do still, so decides to (IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME) lay down in the middle of the field, hands behind his head, looking at the clouds.... Eventually the ball gets kicked his direction and he looks up a little as the group of 4-year olds nearly trample him, but goes back to what he was doing when they pass! For me, this was absolutely hilarious! But for his dad, e was just in awe and utter shock at Parker's cluelessness and not listening to anyone. "Why is he so stubborn!?" He'd ask with a little laugh, shaking his head. The part that gets me though is when his turn was over and he comes over to Steve and in the most sincere little voice says "I tried, Dad! It was just so hard. I'm too tired! Can I stay with you daddy?" He was tired. I felt him! I take this whole hilarious heart-warming situation as an analogy for all of us in this life. We're on the bench waiting for our shot at going to earth, receiving a body, proving ourself to our Father that we can do this life thing... And we get out there and it's just HARD. We get tired. Feel like we're not progressing. We're not good enough. And it's just tough! And we want to go back to sit with our father in his unconditional loving arms. 
I've felt these things as I've been preparing for my mission and even before of course. We ALL go through it. But we have our Father in heaven to guide us through, to tell us to keep going, to comfort us when we fail and tell us we can try again. HE is there, and I couldn't be more thankful for my coach and friend. Happiness is progression, and I know that when we listen and use Him As our guide, we will make it! That's all for today :). 
PS refer to my Facebook for the hilarious video 

No comments:

Post a Comment